Friday, June 18, 2010

Prospects of interest (2nd Round): Jason Zucker



Today’s prospect has a chance at being the first Las Vegas born/trained player to set foot in the NHL.

Jason Zucker is a 5’11” winger from the US NTDP who is not expected to be a premier scorer at the next level, he’s already made the commitment to defensive hockey while using his excellent skating abilities to be an effective forechecker and penalty-killer. Said one scout interviewed in THN’s draft preview:

“Because of his speed, he gets chances, but can’t do it [score] naturally. I see him as a pently-killer, shutdown guy who might get 10 goals”

The Rankings:
THN: 54
ISS: 30
CSB: 51NA

Zucker has been playing with the US National Team for the past two years with varying degrees of offensive success. His totals last year (22GP 11-7-18) suggest there is some offensive talent there. He seems like more of a shooter than a playmaker. He got that opportunity to be a premier scorer at the most recent U-20 WJC’s, where he was lining up with offensive stalwarts in Jordan Schroeder and Ryan Bourque. His two goals contributed to Team USA’s gold-medal winning performance. Said Zucker when asked how he took to this role (http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1068190):

“I was there to try and help them [Schroeder and Bourque] out and help the team win and I thought I played a really good tournament.”

And “play a good tournament” he surely did, at least to my eyes. Getting to watch the Americans at the most recent tournament, I was very surprised by the play of this un-heralded draft-eligible talent. His speed and constant forecheck was a pain in the Canadians’ side throughout the tournament. It wasn’t the big-name talent that wowed me at the WJCs this year. The play of foot soldiers like Zucker and Jerry D’Amigo set the tone of a new look for the Americans. For the first time in forever, they brought a team to an International tournament, not just a smattering of individuals. But I digress...

Zucker seems to be a player in constant need to improve his game. In an interview with McKeen’s, when asked about areas he can improve upon, he ticks off a list longer than a 7-year old’s Christmas wishlist:

“I think I need to work on quite a bit of things. Everybody can work on things to get better. I think I can work on my shooting, my passing, my skating, offensive zone, defensive coverage. Every bit of my game, I can work on...in order to play at the level, you have to be a complete player”.

While some may look at his self-scouting report and see a flawed player, I tend to look at him with a positive eye. Anyone can say they’d like to get better, but it takes a different kind of person to self-evaluate to the point Jason has. He knows what he needs to go do, and proper coaching can adapt his flaws into an effective player.

Zucker is committed to Denver University, but seems like he might be willing to play major junior if the shoe fits. His rights are owned by Seattle of the Western Hockey League.

Jason Zucker would be a good fit for the Oilers organization because he fits the mold of the role players every successful team seems to have in spades. His scouting reports read like those of a Draper/Maltby type player. Hard forechecker, solid PKer with the ability to provide a little offense if thrust into that role. He’d take maybe a little longer to develop than some of the more high-end prospects, but with a massive influx of talent from the prospect ranks in the near future, the Oilers can afford to be patient with the Nevada native. He doesn’t quite have the talent for me to consider taking him with the 31st overall selection, but he’d be a feather in the scouting department’s cap at #48.

No comments:

Post a Comment